—MOMarch 30, 1975NO.337A—DFO
P.O. Box 31, London WC2E 7LX, England or GPO Box 3141, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00936
1. THERE ARE MANY YOUNG LEADERS THAT HAVE RECENTLY BEEN INITIATED INTO NEW JOBS and some others that have the same job with a new title and more work, so we thought we'd share with you these Scriptures that might help you and remind you of your responsibilities and that they are after all pretty serious.
2. PAUL HAD A LOT OF GOOD ADVICE TO GIVE YOUNG MINISTERS AND LEADERS so I thought I'd read with you a few things that he had to say as father in the Lord to them. I trust they were inspired of the Holy Spirit and I believe they're good advice and good for you to remember. Amen‚ Lord, bless the reading of Thy Word in Jesus' name.
3. "CHARGE SOME THAT THEY TEACH NO OTHER DOCTRINE," a very important responsibility, "neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions rather than Godly edifying which is in faith; so do." In other words‚ stay out of theological arguments and hair splitting.
4. "NOW THE END OF THE COMMANDMENT IS LOVE OUT OF A PURE HEART and of a good conscience and of faith unfeigned:" The Church has spent thousands of years arguing over doctrine instead of getting out and loving the whole world into the Kingdom. When they started arguing they stopped evangelising. When they started building buildings they stopped really building the Kingdom.
5. "FROM WHICH SOME HAVING SWERVED, HAVE TURNED ASIDE unto vain janglings; desiring to be teachers of the law, understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm." I'm glad we've gotten away from so many classes. We had so many teachers and some of them were teaching some of the craziest stuff you ever heard. So we just practically cut all that and advised everyone to just read the MO Letters. That way we can be pretty sure that they're getting the right information, at least as much as possible.
6. "BUT WE KNOW THAT THE LAW IS GOOD IF A MAN USE IT LAWFULLY." "Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners"—In other words‚ these people who want to keep splitting hairs over the law all the time. The law's all right, but love is more important.
7. "IF THERE BE ANY OTHER THING THAT IS CONTRARY TO SOUND DOCTRINE according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust. I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who hath enabled me for that He counted me faithful putting me into the ministry." Are you glad you've been put into the ministry? Are you glad you've been put into the ministry?—Not only the ministry but in some cases given an officership.
8. "THIS CHARGE I COMMIT UNTO THEE, SONS AND DAUGHTERS, ACCORDING TO THE PROPHECIES which went before on thee‚" I've written plenty of them‚ "that thou by them might war a good warfare holding faith and a good conscience which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck."
9. WE'RE NOT JUST PLAYING GAMES ARE WE? Even our littlest Colony is a part of our warfare, battle front. We're attacking the hearts and minds of men with the Truth. But when they get involved in other things they shipwreck faith, which is not good.
10. "THIS IS A TRUE SAYING, IF A MAN DESIRE THE OFFICE OF A BISHOP" or a Minister or a Prime Minister‚ "he desireth a good work." Do you have a job to do? "Work" it says, but it's a good work. Wouldn't you rather be doing that work than working in a defence plant making bombs or something?
11. "A BISHOP THEN MUST BE BLAMELESS, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach." These are Scriptures that you should remember to go over by yourselves and you'll probably get more out of them alone with the Lord and the Spirit.
12. "NOT GIVEN TO WINE, NO STRIKER NOR GREEDY OF FILTHY LUCRE but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; One that ruleth well his own house having his children in subjection with all gravity." If we find any of our leaders can't even control their own wives and children, watch out. If they cannot rule their own house they've got no business ruling the house of God. If I did anything in those days when there was just our little family, I at least ruled my own house and they knew it.
13. "NOT A NOVICE‚ "ANYBODY CAN BE A NOVICE IF YOU GIVE THEM MORE THAN THEY CAN HANDLE, "lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the Devil." If any job you get makes you proud then you're a novice, if it ministers to your pride and you think, "Ah, now what a big shot am I!" that's sure proof you're a novice!
14. IF A REAL SEASONED LEADER IS GIVEN A JOB HE'S NOT NECESSARILY GOING TO BE PROUD of it. He just knows it means more work, more responsibility, more serious blame and all the rest, and he knows he'll get very little credit. I just thought I ought to try to impress upon you the seriousness of your work‚ beloved.
15. "MOREOVER HE MUST HAVE A GOOD REPORT of them which are without lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the Devil." Thank God most of you have a good reputation, at least with the people we care about. Of course, you can never have a good reputation with your enemies so that's something else.
16. "LIKEWISE MUST THE DEACONS BE GRAVE, NOT DOUBLETONGUED, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre; holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience." Deacons are those of you who take care of the tables, the practical things and the finances and so on. You may have to deal with other things sometimes, but we're trying to impress on you all that you have a spiritual ministry and you need to take good care of it. Praise God?
17. "NOW THE SPIRIT SPEAKETH EXPRESSLY THAT IN THE LATTER TIME SOME SHALL DEPART FROM THE FAITH giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils; speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their conscience seared with a hot iron. Forbidding to marry, commanding to abstain from meats‚ which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. "Nowadays there are certainly all kinds of funny religions.
18. "FOR EVERY CREATURE OF GOD IS GOOD AND NOTHING TO BE REFUSED if it be received with thanksgiving, for it is sanctified by the Word of God and prayer. If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ‚ nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine whereunto thou hast attained.
19. "BUT REFUSE PROFANE AND OLD WIVES FABLES AND EXERCISE THYSELF RATHER UNTO GODLINESS. For bodily exercise profiteth little, but godliness is profitable unto all things having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come. This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation. For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach because we trust in the living God who is Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe. These things command and teach."
20. "LET NO MAN DESPISE THY YOUTH, BUT BE THOU AN EXAMPLE of the believers in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come give attendance to reading‚ to exhortation, to doctrine. Neglect not the gift that is in thee which was given thee by prophecy with the laying on of hands of the presbytery."
21. "MEDITATE UPON THESE THINGS, GIVE THYSELF WHOLLY TO THEM that thy profiting may appear to all. Take heed unto thyself and unto the doctrine; continue in them for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself and them that hear thee."
22. "LET THE ELDERS THAT RULE WELL BE COUNTED WORTHY OF DOUBLE HONOUR, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine." When they want to honour you, don't refuse it. God says, "Honour unto whom honour is due." Your people will love you and want to honour you if you're shepherding them as you should be, but don't accept worship.
23. IF YOU'RE REALLY CARING FOR THEM‚ THEY'LL WANT TO BE EXTRA GOOD TO YOU. In this case he's really talking about money‚ believe it or not, and their support and maybe giving him seconds or something. Lord, forgive me, I'm sometimes squeamish about that, when they try to give me special preferential treatment. For the Scripture saith‚ "Thou shall not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. The labourer is worthy of his reward."
24. "AGAINST AN ELDER RECEIVE NOT AN ACCUSATION but before two or three witnesses. Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear. I charge thee before God and the Lord Jesus Christ and the elect angels that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality. Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins, and keep thyself pure."
25. "THESE THINGS TEACH AND EXHORT. If any man teach otherwise and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ and to the doctrine which is according to godliness, he is proud‚ knowing nothing but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds‚ and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is Godliness—from such withdraw thyself." Every time one of those preachers would want to get me into an argument I knew he was the wrong kind of person.—Especially if it was before others, like babes.
26. "FOR WE BROUGHT NOTHING INTO THIS WORLD, AND IT IS CERTAIN WE CAN CARRY NOTHING OUT. Having food and raiment let us therewith be content", Praise God! That's all we need, amen? He doesn't even promise you a roof over your head, but He's usually pretty good to us, He gives us one anyhow—pretty nice huh?
27. "BUT THEY THAT WILL BE RICH FALL INTO TEMPTATION AND A SNARE and many foolish and hurtful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition." Did you know that even a bum in his cardboard house can be proud of what he's got and unwilling to give it up? "For the love of money is the root of all evil, which while some coveted after they have erred from the faith and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
28. "BUT THOU, O MAN OF GOD, FLEE THESE THINGS AND FOLLOW AFTER RIGHTEOUSNESS, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life whereunto thou art also called and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses."
29. "I GIVE THEE CHARGE IN THE SIGHT OF GOD who quickeneth all things and before Jesus Christ who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession, that thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ. Which in His times He shall show who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings and Lord of lords; Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man hath seen, nor can see, to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen."
30. "CHARGE THEM THAT ARE RICH IN THIS WORLD THAT THEY BE NOT HIGHMINDED"—You mean we're apt to have a few kings and rich people? He didn't say we're not going to have any‚ but does he say it's wrong to be rich? Not really, he just says watch out what it does to you. If you've got the right attitude you can even be rich 'cause you're always sharing what you've got.
31. "BE NOT HIGHMINDED NOR TRUST IN UNCERTAIN RICHES." Now see, those apparently show what the two great temptations of the rich are, to be highminded and to trust in money instead of the Lord.—So watch out!
32. IF GOD BLESSES YOU WITH MONEY, DON'T TRUST IN MONEY, trust in God and don't let it fill your head‚ to be highminded. He'll give us money if we need it, even more than we need‚ Praise the Lord! He gives us a lot of things we don't even need but we just want. He's so good to us, He sometimes spoils us. And that's a good place to say that because it says here.
33. "BUT (TRUST) IN THE LIVING GOD WHO GIVETH US RICHLY ALL THINGS TO ENJOY!" Hallelujah! "That they do good that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate, laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come that they may lay hold on eternal life."
34. "O TIMOTHY (YOUNG PEOPLE), KEEP THAT WHICH IS COMMITTED TO THY TRUST, avoiding profane and vain babblings and opposition of science falsely so-called, which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen."
35. WELL, I COULD SHARE WITH YOU A LOT MORE but perhaps you're tired. I've read you most the Book of 1st Timothy, believe it or not. I haven't read you 2 Timothy, but that just about sums it up. He repeats quite a bit of these things in 2 Timothy and Titus too. Thee is one verse my eyes fall upon... Oh, these are so good! I hate to skip'em. Can I read with you just a few more?
36. "HOLD FAST THE FORM OF SOUND WORDS WHICH THOU HAST HEARD OF ME in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us. Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus."
37. "AND THE THINGS THAT THOU HAST HEARD OF ME AMONG MANY WITNESSES THE SAME COMMIT THOU TO FAITHFUL MEN who shall be able to teach others also." Praise God? Pass it on! Teach others to teach others to teach others to teach others! That is supposed to be our basic principle, isn't it? Are we doing it? I hope so. If so we're going to have some good young leaders to follow right in your footsteps and take your place as you go on.
38. "THEREFORE THOU ENDURE HARDNESS AS A GOOD SOLDIER OF JESUS CHRIST." You have to endure hardness too sometimes, right? "No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life‚ that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier. And if a man also strive for masteries yet is he not crowned except he strive lawfully. The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.
39. "CONSIDER WHAT I SAY AND THE LORD GIVE THEE UNDERSTANDING in all things." That's something we need—understanding in all things, amen?" Of these things put them in remembrance charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit but to the subverting of the hearers. And study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed‚ rightly dividing the word of truth."
40. "BUT SHUN PROFANE AND VAIN BABBLINGS, for they will increase unto more ungodliness and their word will eat as doth a cancer. Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure having this seal‚ the Lord knoweth them that are His!" Praise God?
41. "LET EVERY ONE THAT NAMETH THE NAME OF CHRIST DEPART FROM INIQUITY." He's saying one thing, but then he's afraid that you're going to take it to an extreme, so he's saying, "Everybody try to be good and do what you're supposed to do‚ but remember:"
42. "IN A GREAT HOUSE THERE ARE NOT ONLY VESSELS OF GOLD AND OF SILVER BUT ALSO OF WOOD and of earth, some to honour and some to dishonour." Don't reject the guy who can only empty the pot or be a pot, everybody's got his place. But don't put the ugly potty on the mantlepiece, and stick the beautiful Cloissone vase under the bed! Have a little sense!
43. "IF A MAN THEREFORE PURGE HIMSELF FROM THESE HE SHALL BE A VESSEL UNTO HONOUR sanctified and meet for the Master's use and prepared unto every good work." "Flee also youthful lusts, but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart."
44 "BUT FOOLISH AND UNLEARNED QUESTIONS AVOID, knowing that they do gender strifes. The servant of the Lord must not strive but be gentle unto all men."—Don't get yourselves tricked into arguments especially these things on television and newspaper interviews. Just refuse to argue and split hairs and be put on the defensive—Attack! Attack!
45. PREACH LOVE! JUST IGNORE THE RIDICULOUS FOOLISH QUESTIONS and preach love, Amen? Preach Christ! "In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves, if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth and that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the Devil who are taken captive by him at his will." Praise God.
46. "I CHARGE THEE THEREFORE BEFORE GOD AND THE LORD JESUS CHRIST who shall judge the quick and the dead at His appearing and His Kingdom. Preach the Word‚ be instant in season, out of season, reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine."
47. "FOR THE TIME WILL COME WHEN THEY WILL NOT ENDURE SOUND DOCTRINE but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers having itching ears. And they shall turn away their ears from the truth and shall be turned unto fables. But watch thou in all things‚ endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry." Praise God, amen?
48. "FOR I AM NOW READY TO BE OFFERED AND THE TIME OF MY DEPARTURE IS AT HAND. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith and henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day. Not to me only but unto all them also that love His appearing." Praise God! Hallelujah! (David weeps as he reads)
49. I'M NOT CRYING FOR MYSELF BUT I ALWAYS HATE TO THINK OF LEAVING YOU. You have so many problems and you lean on me so hard. But I know the time will come and the Lord will bring you through. He's promised it.
50. THOSE PROPHECIES, "PROPHECIES OF THE GREAT QUEEN", ARE SUCH AN ENCOURAGEMENT because it shows God is going to provide leadership no matter what happens, even if He has to take two women to do it. I didn't really realise those last few verses were there at the end, but that's a good place to put them. Praise the Lord?
51. IF YOU LEADERS WILL DO THE GOOD JOB YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO‚ I WON'T HAVE TO WORRY about the Revolution. I'll know that the Lord has got it in good hands and even if I don't stick around you'll be able to carry it on, praise the Lord. I hope to stick around as long as I can and I'm not planning to leave, but just in case, I'd like to make sure everything's the way it ought to be. So praise the Lord!