—MO April 1, 1974 NO.304—GP
—Another "Flirty Fish" Adventure!
P.O. Box 31, London WC2E 7LX, England or GPO Box 3141, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00936
1. "LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT" IS QUITE POSSIBLE, and to respond with love to a loving look is a very normal reaction, as "love begets love". For it is very easy to "fall in love with love". To see love in one's eyes is a psychological, emotional, physiological and spiritual phenomenon which no one can quite explain any more than the seventh wonder of the world which King Solomon called "the way of a man with a maid".
2. FOR "EYES ARE THE WINDOWS OF THE SOUL". For some inexplicable reason known to God alone‚ it is often possible for someone to look into another's eyes and read the very thoughts and intents of the heart. In the "Look of Love"‚ when looking earnestly and penetratingly into each other's eyes, a definite reaction takes place which you often can actually feel physically.
3. IT IS ALSO A KNOWN FACT FROM THE PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF MANY OF US THAT THE REACTION OF THE EYES CAN EVEN UPSET THE EQUILIBRIUM OF THE STOMACH so as to cause nausea, as on a winding road or a heaving sea or simply by watching motion pictures of the same, and visual motion sickness seems to be very closely related to actual motion sickness, such as air sickness. In the case of the car on the winding road, the best cure is always to keep your eyes firmly on the road ahead and not look down. Most of us have had the sad experience of a sudden wave of nausea while trying to read or write or study something while riding in a moving vehicle, and we also often hear the expression that the sight of something nauseous "turned my stomach".
4. SO THE REACTION OF THE HUMAN BODY TO THE SIGHT OF THE EYE IS A VERY FAMILIAR PHENOMENON known to all of us by personal experience. Even colours can affect your mood and cause emotional reactions which have bodily responses. A sickly greenish yellow can be nearly nauseating, bright red can give an actual feeling of warmth, green a feeling of coolness, dark blue can give a feeling of foreboding, light blue a feeling of heavenly–mindedness and airyness, deep purple a sadness and melancholy, and light golden yellow a feeling of the joyous cheeriness of bright sunshine.
5. SAFETY ENGINEERS ARE NOW USING STARTLING BRIGHT RED ORANGE COLOURS and signs as the most effective warning of danger because of its actual shock effect on human vision, and bold black-on-yellow for its attention-getting clarity and visibility for highway traffic signs.
6. ALL OF THESE USES OF COLOUR AND SIGHT HAVE ALMOST IMMEDIATE EMOTIONAL AND PHYSICAL REACTIONS or actual physical feelings in our bodies as we react to them by sight. However‚ some people are like Jesus said of some religious leaders: "Having eyes they see not, for they be blind leaders of the blind." As we often say, "There are none so blind as those that will not see". How often have you averted your gaze from a sight which you did not want to see because of its unwanted emotional and physical reaction on your own body and your own feelings.
7. HOW OFTEN HAVE YOU GAZED WITH A GREAT SENSE OF PLEASURE AND FEELINGS OF ENJOYMENT and actual satisfaction just from looking at a beautiful scene or a lovely picture or a colourful flower, a brilliant sunset or the myriad colours and beauties of God's great creation or God's crowning creation of all, the beauty of a woman! For which reason God warned us not to love the world too much, lest the lust of the eye get us in trouble by turning into worship of the creation more than the Creator.
8. WE ALSO SOMETIMES FIND THAT THE REACTION CAN WORK IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION AND OUR EMOTIONS CAN AFFECT OUR EYESIGHT: We see what we want to see or ignore what we don't want to see. We are told that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" at times, and therefore "love is blind" or "has an extra eye" which sees beauty the rest of us cannot see.
9. FOR ALL THESE AND MANY OTHER REASONS‚ EYESIGHT IS UNDOUBTEDLY THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL OUR FIVE PHYSICAL SENSES and borders the closest on the spiritual or psychological senses, such as instinct‚ intuition, sixth sense or extra-sensory perception. It is certainly the most sensitive of our physical senses and usually has the quickest and most automatic involuntary reactions for its own self-preservation, such as a quick closing of the eyes against a feared blow, or the sudden sight of sudden danger causing an instantaneous automatic involuntary reaction, flinching, jerking or jumping of other parts or your body or your entire body as it instinctively seeks to avoid injury foreseen by the eye.
10. THE BIBLE SPEAKS OF THE APPLE OR PUPIL OF THE EYE AS PROBABLY THE MOST SENSITIVE PART OF THE ENTIRE HUMAN BODY to actual touch, and when we want to illustrate something as being very quick, we speak of it as happening in "the twinkling of an eye" or "as quick as a wink". Jesus says "the light of our whole body is the eye, and if our eye be evil then our whole body is full of darkness". So there are also evil eyes which actually bring darkness rather than light, hatred rather than love.
11. THE EYE IS INDEED A MOST REMARKABLE PHYSICAL OPTICAL INSTRUMENT and it is more versatile and complicated than any camera. It has a lens which can actually change its shape in order to focus on objects at varying distances. It also has a computer system which can even compute the actual distances of those objects, or the distances between them, as well as their sizes at various distances, and therefore can compute depth and dimension and directional relationships in a split second glance.
12. ITS VIDEO COMPUTER SYSTEM IS SO ACCURATE THAT IT CAN HELP A DRIVER INSTANTLY MEASURE DISTANCES and guide his driving in extremely difficult and complicated situations where various vehicles are involved travelling at different speeds and even in different directions. So that we truly are "guided by our eyes" which are constantly and continuously in our everyday activities calculating thousands of individual situations, computing innumerable distances, relationships, sizes‚ possibilities, movements, directions, ad infinitum.
13. THE EYES THEMSELVES CAN ALSO BE USED AS A MEANS OF SIGNALING by the direction of a look or its focal point, so that you know by the position of a person's eyes what he's likely looking at. Or you can use your eyes to signal someone to look in a certain direction or to warn them of danger.
14. EYES CAN EVEN CONVEY HATRED OR LOVE or embarrassment or deceitfulness or anger. Guilt‚ pride and many other human emotions are indicated by the look of the eyes as expressed in some of our common sayings such as: "She gave me a dirty look", or "If looks could kill I'd be dead now", or "His eyes pierced like steel", or "Her eyes were radiant with expectancy."
15. THEY CAN SHOW JOY AND HAPPINESS OR HURT AND SORROW and their tears can be a signal of either grief, pain or heartbreak, or tears of pleasure and rejoicing, or we can even laugh till we cry!
16. WHEN FIRST MEETING SOMEONE THE USUAL FOCAL POINT OF OUR ATTENTION AND OUR OWN EYES IS THEIR EYES, for the eyes betray character, the eyes bespeak the true nature and attitude of the person, no matter what the other cover-ups or affectations may be. A mouth can be forced to smile and pretend friendliness, but watch out if the eyes do not smile too!
17. EYES ARE THE GREATEST BETRAYERS OF THE TRUE EMOTIONS WITHIN and are indeed the windows of our very souls, which is why we often say, "Look me in the eye!" A shifty-eyed character is immediately felt to be untrustworthy, one who will not look you in the eye or whose eyes shift about as though seeking some place to hide or whose eyes fall in embarrassment or guilt.
18. EYES CAN ALSO SEND OUT A MESSAGE FOR HELP. They can give a beseeching look, a pleading glance, or they can coldly resist our gaze or be warily suspicious or narrowly suspect. Other eyes give us a mere fleeting glance indicating total disinterest and indifference and coolness of emotions‚ or they can be searchingly seeking for answers, or passionately romantic and filled with desire and longing and hopefulness‚ or their gaze can be dull and lifeless, hopeless and full of pained frustration.
19. THE EYES ARE POSITIVELY THE MOST EXPRESSIVE PART OF OUR ENTIRE BODIES ASIDE FROM OUR TONGUES, BUT ARE EVEN MORE RELIABLE than our tongues to express our true emotions and our real feelings. The tongue can say one thing while the eyes show another; the mouth may smile while the eyes hate, or the hurt eyes of love deny the regretted words of anger. There is no organ of the human body as genuinely expressive as the eye.
20. THE EYE IS THE MOST DEEPLY SINCERE COMMUNICATOR OF ALL OUR SENSES and reveals our innermost being whether we want it to or not. The mouth may lie, but the eye virtually invariably tells the truth about what is really going on inside. The eye has an almost extra-sensory power of perception and can convey and receive messages silently and motionless like no other human organ.
21. THE EYE COMES CLOSEST TO SPIRITUAL EXTRA-SENSORY PERCEPTION, and I am convinced that it is definitely linked with it and often has such psychic powers‚ as hypnotism has proven. Through the use of his eyes the hypnotist can put a receptive and responsive subject into a sleep-like state of mental trance where the hypnotist's will controls the subject's will and his spirit literally rules that of his subject.
22. THE HYPNOTIST CAN COMMAND THE HYPNOTISED SUBJECT to do acts as though having no will of his own and to respond obediently to every command. They can call it psychology, they can call it mental, but I am convinced that hypnotism is also very spiritual and has proven on occasion to be dangerous if the subject is not protected by the Spirit of God.
23. SOME HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO LOSE THEIR MINDS COMPLETELY OR BECOME TOTALLY SCHIZOPHRENIC THROUGH HYPNOTIC EXPERIENCE, going totally insane. I am personally convinced that many of these, while in such a state of total submission by their spirit to the will and spirit of another, become possessed and overruled and controlled by an evil spirit‚ so that they became literally demon–possessed, as frequently acknowledged and demonstrated in the Bible and through the personal experience of untold horrified millions through the ages.
24. IF THROUGH THE EYE, THEREFORE, ONE'S SPIRIT CAN SO AMAZINGLY AFFECT AND EVEN CONTROL THE SPIRIT OF ANOTHER‚ INCLUDING THEIR WILL AND ACTIONS, THE EYES ARE THE MOST POWERFUL OF ALL HUMAN ORGANS and can be the most useful or the most dangerous of all our senses with which we are endowed by God. They can be used for good or evil, to love or to hate, to help or to hurt, and therefore we must be very cautious how we use them and that we use them sincerely and without guile.
25. IF YOU WANT TO SEE HOW IMPORTANT THE EYE IS, GET OUT YOUR BIBLE concordance and run your own eye down column after column of Scripture references on the eye and its powers and its uses and abuses. It is said that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach and the way to a woman's is through her ears.
26. THE MOST DIRECT WAY TO ALL OF OUR HEARTS IS THROUGH OUR EYES. Eve's first mistake in the Garden was to listen to the Devil's lies, but her worst mistake was to contemplate sin with her eye, when thought became father of the deed.
27. PRENATAL INFLUENCE THROUGH THE EYES has even been said to have effect on an unborn child by some sight which the mother has seen, and Jacob caused his cattle to bear breeds of a certain kind merely by mental suggestion through certain objects laid before their eyes.
28. THE EYE IS CONSTANTLY USED AS A SYMBOL OF OUR SPIRITUAL VISION and perception throughout the Scriptures, and the Scriptures on the eye and its importance are too numerous to mention here. Look them up for yourself. Your eyes are said to be your most priceless physical possession and that you should take care of them. But they are much more than that:
29. EYES ARE EXTREMELY SPIRITUAL AND HAVE UNCANNY POWERS of which you may never have dreamed—powers over you and powers over others. Watch out how you use them! Note how in our most serious warning we even use an expression denoting the importance of the eye: "Watch!" Jesus put "Watch!" even before "Pray!". You need to watch and beware or you may not have time to pray, and you'd best watch and pray together for you need to watch while you pray!
30. THE EYE CAN BE A VERY USEFUL ORGAN IN WITNESSING as you are looking for possible responsive subjects for your witness. Your greatest witness is love, and the eyes are the first to show it as well as the first to receive it.
31. LOVE-MAKING IS HYPNOTICAL: WOOING IS ALL A PART OF THAT PROCESS OF ROMANTIC HYPNOSIS. It's partly physiological: your body chemistry gets in the mood. But it's definitely largely psychological, because your mind and spirit sort of get in the mood too. And there's got to be something of the spirit about the eyes in wooing.
32. DON'T BREAK GOD'S SPELL! If the Devil has his spells, certainly the Lord has His—the influence of the Holy Spirit! But if you break the connection and let your fish get away, it's just like breaking the line or throwing the switch, or like snapping your fingers in front of the hypnotised subject to snap them out of a hypnotic trance.
33. WITH HELGA, THE GERMAN GIRL, IT WAS ALMOST LIKE I DREW HER SPIRIT RIGHT OUT THROUGH HER EYES—almost like I'd hypnotised her in a fraction of a second! I looked across to Helga and for the first time I looked deep into her eyes and held her gaze for just a moment, and there was a really sad longing in her eyes.
34. THE MOMENT I GOT HOLD OF HER GAZE, I JUST PULLED HER SPIRIT RIGHT TOWARDS ME just like you'd take someone in your arms and embrace them. But it was like an electric contact and like I just pulled her right out through her eyes! Suddenly in that one look we made contact—our spirits really came together.
35. ONE HAS SO LITTLE TO DO WITH THE ENGINEERING OF THESE SITUATIONS‚ BECAUSE GOD'S REALLY THE ONE THAT SETS THEM UP and does the planning. You couldn't possibly have planned these things, but you just fall in line and follow along whichever way He leads, because you don't know where He's going or what He's doing.
36. IT'S A DEFINITE SPIRITUAL MAGNETISM AND HAS A GREAT DEAL TO DO WITH THE EYES. This must be the basis of hypnotism. If the subject is ready, you can hypnotise them in a moment, in virtually one glance! If the subject is very receptive and very ready, just one look will do it.—And that's why some instinctively look away‚ because they're afraid of falling in!
37. HYPNOTISM HAS GOT TO BE SPIRITUAL, AND IT SHOWS THE EYES HAVE A LOT TO DO WITH THE SPIRIT. When you look into somebody's eyes, it's just like looking into their soul. I really get communications looking into people's eyes—sometimes it's almost as though they said the words out loud!
38. YEARS AGO WE WENT TO A FLYING SAUCER CONVENTION IN OHIO. Really it was spiritualistic society and the woman in charge was the medium, and she took my hand and looked into my eyes and smiled knowingly.—And I could have sworn she said the words out loud!—"I know who you are!"—And I myself didn't even know who I was then!
39. BUT JUST LIKE THOSE SPIRITS KNEW JESUS, THAT HE WAS THE SON OF GOD, THESE SPIRITS KNEW ME! But you know the only thing that came to me at that time was merely: She knows I'm a Christian and that I love Jesus and am a preacher of the Gospel. But it was like she was saying it was something very important or significant, and I thought, "Wow! I didn't realise I was that important!"
40. HER SPIRIT KNEW WHO I WAS, although I didn't even know who I was then myself! She didn't even say a word out loud, but I heard her so clearly in my mind I thought she said it! But it all came through her eyes—and I got the message!
41. WITH THE LORD, YOU CAN GET THROUGH TO PEOPLE'S SPIRITS IMMEDIATELY. It's just like an instant recognition. You make an instant contact in the spirit. That's what love at first sight is: That hypnotic glance. There's an instant contact of the spirit, and your spirits just suddenly click together like two magnets. My mother and father both claimed that with them it was definitely love at first sight, that the moment they looked into each other's eyes it was boom!—That was it!
42. IF THERE'S REAL SPIRITUAL CONTACT IN A LOOK, IT'S JUST LIKE GETTING NAKED INTO BED WITH SOMEONE. In our recent experience we were invited to the nightclub of one of the newest and swankiest hotels in a certain resort by the young disc jockey who MC'd the show and to whom we had been witnessing.
43. WE INVITED THIS LOVELY YOUNG GERMAN GIRL, Helga, and her mother of recent acquaintance to go with us, as they seemed to have no other friends and were somewhat lonely. We had been witnessing to them as best we could considering their very little English and our almost no German, and since the DJ spoke German and there were many German guests, we thought they might be of help by interpreting for us.
44. THE MUSIC PROVED TO BE SO LOUD IT WAS DIFFICULT TO SPEAK OR BE HEARD so we finally had to virtually give up to either dancing or sign language or expressive looks of the eyes. In the noise, confusion and inability to talk, I had my first opportunity to study intently the face of our sweet young German guest sitting opposite me.
45. WHILE TRYING TO SEARCH OUT HER CHARACTER, EMOTIONS AND NEEDS, SUDDENLY OUR EYES MET LIKE AN ELECTRIC SHOCK, and in a split-second flash of revelation she stripped her soul bare before me and cried out her hunger for my help and understanding! This must have instantly filled my own eyes with a look of loving concern and pity, compassion and affection for her, for it seemed that as our eyes met our spirits made a direct and literally electric contact with each other more intimate and penetrating and vibrant than actual sexual intercourse!
46. IN THAT INSTANT HER VISUAL CRY OF HELP FOR LOVE WAS ANSWERED BY MY OWN EYES as our heretofore rather formal relationship suddenly took on a more intimate aspect. As we have said before‚ we must usually demonstrate our faith by our works‚ and love can seldom be proven without tangible manifestation in action.
47. SO WE WERE SOON SITTING TOGETHER ENGROSSED IN DEEP COMMUNICATION BY MEANS OF EYES, words and even touch, until she had revealed to me her deepest needs and I had answered her with love, both my own and God's, and she was actually in tears and begging me to make love to her!
48. MEANWHILE IN MY ABSENCE OUR LITTLE FLIRTY FISH HAD PRAYED THAT GOD WOULD LEAD HER TO SOME HUNGRY SOUL to help, while I too was praying it would be someone worthwhile. So it wasn't long before she too was deeply engrossed in conversation and dancing with a very handsome sweet young Frenchman who was hungry for love.—Aren't we all?
49. SO MANY OF THESE POOR FOLKS ARE ALWAYS SEEKING GENUINE LOVE, but seldom‚ if ever‚ finding it, for there are so few of God's people who are willing to show them His real love and manifest it by genuine proving action to help them with their physical needs. It is no good to merely say to them, "God bless you!—Be thou warmed and fed!", "when thou hast it by thee" and givest it not in your own selfishness and unconcern.
50. THE ONLY LOVE OF GOD THEY CAN SEE IS THE LOVE THEY SEE IN YOU, and if you don't show them the love they can see and feel, they're going to have a hard time believing that there is Someone up there Whom they don't know and that He really loves them. I once told you of a missionary who pioneered his field with the only words he knew in the native language: "I love you, and God loves you!" and manifested his love with his deeds and won thousands to the Lord.
51. UNLESS YOU CAN SHOW THEM THAT GOD LOVES THEM BY YOUR OWN LOVE FROM GOD, THEY'LL NEVER KNOW IT. They'll never know that God loves them unless they can tell that you love them and God is loving them through you‚ even if you have to go the limit to prove it! Soon this fine young Frenchman was literally melting under our Flirty Fish's loving gaze as well as in her warm and tender embrace while his own responsiveness was increasingly indicated by a literal rise in his physical reactions‚ and he was soon begging with his eyes for more than she could give him on the dance floor!
52. SHE SPOKE TO HIM OF GOD AND HIS LOVE AND SHOWED HIM GOD'S LOVE THROUGH HER OWN, although he could not believe his ears that someone dancing so close and clinging was talking to him about God! Many seem to feel that religion should be confined to the churches and not interfere with their daily and nightly lives and living and especially their playing!
53. BUT HE COULD NOT DOUBT THE LOOK OF LOVE IN HER EYES and her tender sympathy for his problems, and soon our sweet simple childlike Flirty little Fishy had this big one eating out of the palm of her fin as he rested lovingly on her wiggly little tail while the fisherman gazed watchfully with satisfaction from his vantage point on the shore! Captivated by such love, this formerly unbelieving French fish promised to remember and veritably memorised to repeat: "I know God loves me because you love me!", and was left to wonder with amazement at such love!
54. THE EYES HAVE IT! The eyes started it! The eyes did it and the eyes finished it! All hail to the eyes as the most potent witnesses of God's love! Can all you little flirty fishes roll those big flirty eyes with that come-hither look that will melt your catch with love? If you don't know the power of the eyes, you'd better start learning how to "use it"!
55. FOR THE EYE IS QUICKER THAN THE TONGUE OR THE HAND! Give them the look of love, and love and life for a look! Look, Love, into his heart with the look of love, and that can both sober you and give you confidence to know that few can resist such loving looks which reveal the love of Jesus!
56. FOR YOUR LOVING LOOKS HAVE THE LOVING ANSWER TO THE NEED OF EVERY HUNGRY HEART—the look of love which unlocks the doors of many of the hardest and heaviest hearts. Give a look for love and love for a look, and remember:
57. A SAMPLE‚ NOT A SERMON:
I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day;
I'd rather one would walk with me than merely tell the way.
The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear;
Fine counsel is confusing‚ but example's always clear.
The best of all the preachers are the men who live their creeds,
For to see good put in action is what everybody needs.
I soon can learn to do it, if you'll let me see it done.
I can watch your hands in action, but your tongue too fast may run.
The lectures you deliver may be very wise and true;
But I'd rather get my lessons by observing what you do.
I may misunderstand the high advice you give;
But there's no misunderstanding how you act and how you live.
When I see a deed of kindness, I am eager to be kind—
When a weaker brother stumbles, and a strong man stays behind
Just to see if he can help him; then the wish grows strong in me
To become as big and thoughtful as I know that friend to be.
All travelers can witness that the best of guides today.
Is not the one who tells them, but the one who shows the way.
One good man teaches many; men believe what they behold.
One deed of kindness noticed is worth forty that are told.
Who stands with men of honour learns to hold his honour dear;
For right living speaks a language which to everyone is clear.
Though an able speaker charms me with his eloquence, I say
I'd rather see a sermon than to hear one any day!
—Selected by Virginia Brandt Berg
58. IF YOU NEED LOVE‚ WHY NOT VISIT OUR NEAREST COLONY where you'll receive lots of loving looks and more! Or attend one of our night club dancing parties with live bands, lively skits and entertainment—and even livelier loving girls and boys! We have the love you've been looking for! Come get some love for a look!—If you like the "look of love!"—We've got lots of it for you!—Come and get it!