1. What you read in this Bible is necessarily so!—Contrary to an old song cooked up by the Devil! Imagine the attacks of Satan on the Word of God, even in the musicals like "Porgy & Bess" & things like that. That devil, what was that Jewish Negro's name, the guy who sang the part? (Fam: Sammy Davis.) That's the part that made him famous, he played the part of the Devil in "Porgy & Bess," & the theme song was "It Ain't Necessarily So!" "The things that you read in that Bible, they ain't necessarily so!" Then he takes story after story, including the Flood & Creation & this & that & the other & knocks them all in the head with his song.—A very popular song about 40 or 50 years ago.
2. It was an extremely popular musical, probably one of the most popular musicals that the World has ever known outside of "Showboat"!—Only "Porgy & Bess" lasted even longer because of its deviltry & its fiendishness & its attack upon the Word of God. Can you imagine? Every time they played that play, every night they had that musical in a theatre, that song was the centerpiece, that was the theme song: "It ain't necessarily so, the things that you read in that Bible, they are not necessarily so!"—Sung by this Negro Jew Sammy Davis. That's the song that made him famous, that's the part that made him famous, that's really the kind of songs & music that made that musical famous, & it's still going on to this very day! They made a famous movie & they were still singing it as late as World War 2. That may seem like a long time ago to you‚ but it seems like yesterday to me when I was a grown young man. I cringed every time I heard that foul, blasphemous, diabolical‚ fiendish, God-damned lie of the Devil in song & music to attract the hearts of young people & to ring in the heads of children!
3. Music has a special track in your mind, that's why they have so many commercials now as hymns to their products, hymns of praise to their gods‚ so that you can remember them & so they'll just wear a groove in your mind & in your head so you can't get that tune out! There's only one way you can get it out, & that's to sing something else, just like getting rid of the dark, you let the light in. If you get one of those tunes running through your head & you can't get it out, start singing a hymn! Start singing a song about Jesus! I used to have several favourite hymns that I would always start singing the minute one of those worldly tunes, those bad worldly tunes would go through my head. There's a lot of difference because there are a lot of beautiful love songs & wonderful songs about God's Creation & things like that that are perfectly acceptable.
4. But that song was one of the most diabolical‚ direct attacks on the Word of God that was ever created! That was the chorus to every verse, "It ain't necessarily so, the things that you read in the Bible, it ain't necessarily so." Then he goes on & begins with Creation, Adam & Eve in the Garden, Noah & the Flood, takes each thing & says, "It ain't necessarily so!" He looked like the Devil & he sang like the Devil, & how he managed to last so long is the mercy of God!—Although sometimes it's not the mercy of God, it's just to allow some people to fill up their cup of iniquity so they can get all the worse punishment which they deserve! But let me tell you right now‚ the things that you read in this Bible‚ they are very necessarily so!
5. They asked Jesus, "Why is it that when You're out in public & You're preaching, etc., You're always speaking in these strange stories, in parables?" A parable means a parallel story.—Like this‚ see? (Holds up two hands:) Those are two parallel lines. This is one & this is the other. They're a lot alike, aren't they? They're both what? (Fam: Parallel.) Yes, but they're actually both what? (Fam: Lines, the same thing.) What are these two? What do you usually call those things? You guys are always trying to find something difficult! I know I told you they're parallel lines, but first I want you to see something else. These are both hands!—Right?—Both of them! But there is a difference. What's this one? (Fam: Your right hand.) And this is? (Fam: Your left hand.) In almost all other respects they're very similar or almost identical, both of them have what? (Fam: Fingers.) How many fingers? (Fam: Five.) Actually they only have four fingers & this is a thumb, although they're also called digits.
6. The first digits with which Man was ever familiar were his fingers! A child‚ at the very beginning of his mathematical learning learns to count on his fingers, & I still count on my fingers sometimes. When I want to know how many days from one day to another I'll find myself going, "Let's see, this is the 15th, how many days is it to the 27th? (Counts on fingers:) Let's see, 16, 17‚ 18, 19, 20, 21‚ 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27! Ah! 12 days!" Very handy little gadgets you have here on the ends of your hands! They say of the abacus board, the little Chinese Oriental type of calculator, that the Chinese who really know how to use it can find the answers just as fast as most people can find them on one of these little electronic calculators! It's a very clever little thing made of digits & various classifications.
7. There are some things you know, contrary to the modern teachings that there are no absolutes. The modern teachers of that kind of philosophy would say, "You think that's a hand, don't you? But it's really not a hand‚ you don't really know it's a hand‚ you've just been always taught it's a hand & always told it's a hand. You always thought it was a hand, so that's why you think it's a hand!" They'd try to prove to you now that it isn't really a hand, it's this, that & the other & blah blah blah blah!—Trying to tear apart all truth, trying to tear apart all accepted truths of human existence & learning & religion. But we know & we believe that's a hand, don't we? And almost anybody with good sense‚ common sense‚ even any little child knows that's his or her hand. So why try to tell'm differently? You say, "Well, it's actually an accumulation of so many minerals & 75% water & a lot of calcium & bone & this kind of mineral and that kind of mineral and the various substances‚ etc."—But it's still a hand!
8. There are some things which you must accept as absolutely accepted, proven facts! Don't let these theorists of non-absolutism try to tell you differently. This non-absolutism is an attack & a doctrine & a philosophy of Satan! Because the greatest Absolute of all is God, that's why the Devil cooked up this doctrine against absolutism. Because by teaching that there are no absolutes, then they can say, "Well, there's also no God, no law, no Bible, no human morals, no nothing! You don't have to obey anything or anybody or keep laws, you don't have to let anybody tell you what's right or wrong, do as you please!"—And you wind up with chaos & anarchy & the confusion that the Devil wants to inspire. That's exactly the Devil's own doctrine.
9. So we as Christians & we as children of the Lord have to accept there are certain things which we know‚ which are proven from human experience for thousands of years, the ordinary everyday things of normal human life & existence—this is a hand, that's a foot, this is my head, these are my eyes, etc. There are certain facts we have to accept‚ that we've gotta have so much sleep, we've gotta have so much to eat, we have to have so much exercise, etc., to stay healthy, that babies aren't dropped down chimneys from stork's nests, but they come from mothers' tummies, etc. Think of all the lies the World tells their children, about a non–existent Santa Claus and babies being brought by storks and all that kind of ridiculous tommyrot!—Just because they're ashamed of sex, ashamed of their bodies‚ ashamed of the way God creates babies!
10. It's almost beyond my comprehension that the World is so screwed up & so ridiculous about sex & babies & their normal human bodies! They're more ashamed of their bodies & sex than anything else. The very first thing that Adam & Eve were ashamed of after they fell & sin entered their heart, they were ashamed of their bodies, they tried to cover up their nudity. Do you remember what God said? Do you remember the first question He asked them when they said they found they were naked? He said, "Who told you you were naked?"—Gen.3:11. Well, who do you think it was? (Fam: The Devil.)—The Devil! In other words, what was he telling them in telling them that they were naked? (Fam: That it was wrong.)—That it was wrong to be naked‚ that it was evil to expose their genitals & their sexual organs, it was wrong to be nude!
11. And having believed the Devil's first lie to them, they believed everything he told them after that! He said, "Eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil & you'll be like gods!"—Gen.3:5. And he immediately began attending to his ministry of making sure they learned everything evil & everything wrong & all of his lies, till that has become the generally accepted norm of so-called moral behaviour, to be ashamed of your body & ashamed of sex & hide it, hide it, hide it!—Because the Devil has said that it's wrong!
12. All these people out there are following what they think are Christian & church doctrines & church teaching. They think it's Bible teaching to be ashamed of nudity—they call it pornography—to be ashamed of sex—they call it obscenity—& think they're following the teachings of God because that's what their preachers & priests have told them! Therefore the laws have been built on what the church said was right & wrong, & as a result the whole World is absolutely screwed up following the lies of the Devil taught by preachers & priests even, that it's wrong to be naked, it's evil to have sex, etc.‚ except within just certain very restricted confines.
13. When my Mother was a girl it was shameful & a disgrace & absolutely considered wicked if even a husband or a wife went to bed naked! It was considered a shame & a disgrace if ever a child or anybody didn't wear clothes in bed, pajamas or a nightgown or something. We wear'm to keep warm sometimes, but I think some of those people that created such rules never must have lived down in the Tropix! In fact‚ they're the ones that used to squirm in their seats & look embarrassed & ashamed when the missionaries would show motion pictures of all the naked natives in church! Oh, they would get more complaints afterwards: "I don't think you should have shown those pictures here in church, of all things! It might be that way over there, but it's a disgrace, it's a shame, it's wicked‚ it's evil in church!"
14. Those are what you call the mores of society, & there's a little difference taught between mores & morals. Morals are what are generally accepted as definite rules of good behaviour taught by the church & supposedly taught by the Bible, & if you keep those rules you're a moral person. But then society has a vastly larger mass of customary behaviour or customs & traditions called mores. This means the general, usually accepted form of behaviour that's considered right by your particular society, & anything that varies from that norm is considered wrong. Even though you don't find that in the Bible‚ you don't find it in religious teaching or whatever, it's just a normally accepted thing that it's considered wrong by your society or others.
15. And most societies not only have laws to enforce what is known as morals—genuine generally accepted rules of human behaviour, much of it founded on the Bible & more of it founded on church & Christian & Jewish tradition—but they have this vastly greater group or mass of generally accepted rules of behaviour known as mores that are just customary. For example, when I was a little boy it used to be customary for women to wear their skirts down to their ankles, & any woman who exposed her ankles was considered indecent. If she crossed her legs like this & her foot was hanging out there with her ankle bare, she was considered a bad woman. Times have changed! That was a more‚ that was a generally accepted custom, a considered norm of human behaviour.—That is, at least in the Western Judeo-Christian Northern World.
16. They had high lace collars clear up around their necks & it was disgraceful for a woman to have short sleeves that didn't come clear down to her wrists! But they were beautiful dresses, I must admit, & you couldn't absolutely hide all of a woman's charms just with a dress even down to her ankles & down to her wrists & up to her neck! She was really up to her neck in clothes, that's for sure! But they were still women‚ praise God, even if you couldn't see much. They still had a certain form & shape so that you could tell that it was a woman, certain bulges here & there, certain "pudge" as dear Techi calls it. Well, women have certain pudges in certain places that identify them as women.
17. But that was the norm of human behaviour & anybody who varied from that "custom" was a disgrace, a bad woman to expose her ankles! In fact, in some cities & some States there were laws as to how high a woman's hemline could be! I can remember when I was a child seeing women arrested on the streets of Miami, Florida for what they called indecent exposure, because their dress was so short or their neckline was so low or the dress was so thin in that hot climate! They came down from the more wicked North where they were used to considerably more freedom‚ whereas the Southerners on the average were very narrow-minded, straitlaced Christians & had very narrow ideas of behaviour‚ so their laws were based on that too.
18. They used to have the "blue laws" on Sunday. You couldn't play ball on Sunday, you couldn't play games, in fact, I was even stopped by a policeman from running down the street of Savannah‚ Georgia on Sunday when I was a little boy! It was against the law to run on Sunday! Well, there are some of your mores which they considered morals, & even graduated from there on into actual law! People start off with what they think is right & wrong, & at first they just begin to frown on what they think is wrong. Then by & by they begin to speak against what they think is wrong‚ & eventually they persuade the lawmakers to make laws against what they think is wrong!
19. For God's sake, don't get that way with the Bible! Just go by what you know are the facts!—What is necessarily so!
—DO YOU KNOW?