DFO 1585Tenerife, 15/3/75
[GRANDMA'S BELIEFS ON RACIAL SEGREGATION]
12. I REMEMBER [MY MOTHER'S] WORDS JUST AS CLEARLY AS THOUGH I COULD STILL HEAR THEM RIGHT THIS MINUTE‚ & her words were, shockingly enough & contrary to all present euphemistic social platitudes: "Don't put yourself in a position, Son, where they can look down on you!"
13. [She had] long–time firm unshakable convictions on racial segregation. She loved the Negroes & was very good to those who worked for us in our home & to their children & I at one time had even nursed a Negro nanny!
14. BUT SHE FIRMLY BELIEVED THAT EACH HAD HIS PLACE & SHOULD REMEMBER TO STAY IN HIS PLACE, that God had made the Whites the superior rulers of the World & the Negroes their servants, & that each in their place was ideally suited for their task. But that you must never get out of your place or let them get out of theirs, much less ever let them disrespect you, or worst of all to look down on you with contempt if you were White.
15. SHE SIMPLY BELIEVED THAT THAT'S THE WAY GOD MADE IT & THAT WAS THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE & nothing should change it, or the whole social system would be thrown out of order. That was the way she felt & nothing could change her. She definitely did not believe in the mixture of the races for anything other than business & working purposes!
16. SHE HAD NEGRO MINISTERS AND SINGERS HELPING HER IN HER CHURCHES & MEETINGS & mingled with them frequently, & I can remember her entertaining them royally at dinners she had cooked with her own hands, treating these intimate associates as equals & comrades in the fray. I can remember as a little boy being bounced on the knee of the jovial old Negro preacher Littleton Lacey‚ whom I loved because he always told me funny stories & sang me funny songs like Uncle Remus himself with his Br'er Rabbit stories authored by James Whitcomb Riley.
17. BUT AS FAR AS MARRIAGE WENT, SHE WAS STOUTLY OPPOSED TO IT AS A VIOLATION OF GOD'S RULES & STANDARDS FOR THE RACES. She just didn't believe God intended for the races to mix or He wouldn't have made them different colours, & she could support her views with many a Scripture, mostly from the Old Testament, of course.
18. HER OPINION OF PEOPLE WHO CLAIMED TO BELIEVE IN RACIAL EQUALITY was vividly illustrated by her favourite story of the White Canadian pastor who entertained Littleton & his Negro family in his own home and bragged about how he was no different but treated them as equals, & chided my mother for her so-called racist views.—Until his own daughter fell in love with Littleton's son & they ran away together & the White preacher was out looking for them with a shotgun!—When it came to involving his own daughter in a mixed marriage, he seemed to somewhat change his perspective!
19. SO THIS INCIDENT PROVED TO HER SATISFACTION THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS GENUINE WHITE RACIAL EQUALICISTS & that all the Whites who pretended that Blacks were their equals were phonies & hypocrites when it came to the real showdown of the actual nitty-gritty of letting them intermarry with their own children. That's where most Whites usually draw the line, even though they may loudly publicly protest their hypocritical self-righteous sympathies for racial equality & the coloured cause!
20. ALTHOUGH SHE HERSELF MINGLED WITH BLACKS FREELY ON BUSINESS AND SOCIALLY & had many Black friends & co-workers as well as servants‚ she was firmly against marital mixing or racial intermarriage or racial sexual association as being a violation of God's principles of racial distinction.
21. ONE OF HER FAVOURITE QUESTIONS WOULD BE: "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT THEM TO BE DIFFERENT, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM BLACK?" & she firmly believed that each race was happier in its own intra-association, & left to themselves would not normally choose intermingling as their favourite form of society; that each prefers his own race when it comes down to it at social functions‚ festivities & general social activities. That if the truth were known‚ normally Blacks prefer to be with Blacks, & Whites with Whites, & seldom the twain would meet!
22. SHE BELIEVED IN ABSOLUTE RELIGIOUS EQUALITY & that with God there was no respecting of persons & that in the Spirit & service of the church there was no male nor female, Jew nor Greek, Black nor White, & that we are all one in Christ Jesus. That, as brothers & sisters in Christ there is no difference, & that if there would be no difference in Heaven there should certainly be no distinction here in voluntary religious association.
23. BUT SHE FELT THAT IN THE NATURAL WORLD OF GOD'S CREATION HE HAD MADE A LOT OF DIFFERENCE & these differences were according to His Own wisdom & divine plan & should not be disrupted or ignored; that He had His Own reasons for them even though we might not understand them, possibly to make their association as Christians an even greater miracle of God‚ that while there was no difference between Christians, colour made a very great deal of difference in God's racial plans for the World outside‚ as it obviously has throughout history.
24. SHE WOULD QUOTE THE WELL-KNOWN BIBLE VERSE FROM GENESIS SPOKEN TO NOAH to the Black descendants of his Black son Ham: "A servant of servants shall he be" (Gen.9:25), & so has it seemed throughout all history that the Blacks have usually been the servants of the Whites, & that the rare exceptions to this general rule have definitely been the exceptions & not the rule. [HomeARC note (9/98): See "The Un-Cursed Sons of Ham!", ML #2928.]
25. ONE OF HER ARGUMENTS WAS THAT IF BLACKS WERE SUCH EQUALS, WHY WEREN'T THEY RULING THE WORLD instead of the Whites?—If, as their opponents say, they were given equal opportunity, they could do just as well as we have. When the fact of the matter is they have had equal opportunity from the beginning‚ such as in the Black dominant civilisations of Egypt & others in the past.
26. BUT THEIR PAGANISM, PREDOMINANT SEXUAL SINS OF SEXUAL PERVERSIONS such as sodomy & unrelenting character weaknesses have always seemed to place them under the yoke of bondage & the conquering heel of other races. So it does not seem to be a question as to whether God made the Whites superior‚ but that the Blacks have made themselves inferior because of their sins.
27. SO MY MOTHER'S POSITION WAS THAT NO SELF-RESPECTING WHITE SHOULD VOLUNTARILY PUT HIMSELF IN A POSITION INFERIOR TO BLACKS or where he would have to look up to them or be dominated by them in any way: "Don't put yourself in a position, Son‚ where they can look down on you!" In other words, at least insist on being treated as an equal & not as an equal & not as an inferior!
29. [I]n the World today this is definitely not a popular philosophy. Because God is beginning to turn the tables on the long-dominant Whites because of their own sins & is going to permit them again to be conquered & subjugated by the coloured races of the Earth as in the beginning, because of their sins against Him!
30. IT APPEARS THAT MAN'S FINAL FLING OF DEFIANCE AGAINST GOD IS GOING TO BE A ONE-WORLD GOVERNMENT DICTATORSHIP by the coloured races of the Earth, of the South & the East, over the long dominant but now decadent & corrupt & destructive & selfish & dangerous & wicked Whites of the West!—Amen?
[OUR BELIEFS ON SPIRITUAL INTEGRATION]
31. BUT WE WHO ARE SAVED BY THE LOVE OF GOD ARE "ALL ONE IN CHRIST JESUS!" (GAL.3:28)—& "THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE." We work & love & mix together & have beautiful tan babies for the glory of God!—Like Davidito! HALLELUJAH! TYJ—We are colour-blind in love & one in Christ & it no longer makes any difference, TTL!—Are you? GBY!
32. THANK YOU JESUS FOR "LOVE THAT KNOWS NO BOUNDARIES!" HAL!TYJ! ILY! GBY! Let's keep mixing till we wash out all that pale colourless White prejudice & are all a more beautiful colourful Family of one blood!—The blood of Jesus!—Amen? GBY & keep us colourful for Jesus!—In Jesus' name, amen!